Our client is a leader in RF /microwave power devices, MMICs and modules for Defense and Wireless Communications Infrastructure. They have a fast-growing product line of GaN ICs and Modules for SATCOM and Defense,and are looking for a Senior Power Amplifier Design Engineer.
We are looking for a BSEE, MSEE or higher degree, and 3 -10 + years of RF/Microwave High Power Amplifier Design, integrating RF Power transistors and/or MMICs and doing internal and external matching needed to create RF Power Modules/ Power Amplifiers.
Located in Raleigh NC, a growing high tech area with warm weather and affordably priced housing.
The RF/Microwave Power Amplifier Design Engineer will be working in the RF product development team and the primary focus of this role is the design, test and evaluation of cutting edge products using GaN HEMT technology.
- Design GaN high power amplifiers.
- Continue the acceleration of GaN adoption across the wireless frequency spectrum.
- Contribute to the crushing of inferior technologies such as GaAs and LDMOS and dominate the market.
- Own products from cradle to handoff (as opposed to more niche “production design centers” where designers only focus on one specific piece of an overall design.) You will learn MORE here.
- Experience both depth and breadth – high power, high frequency, high efficiency, linearity, quick turn, test, characterization, production.
- Understand how what you do contributes to the bottom line of the organization.
- Work for a small team (you will not be a “number” here!), but nor is this a startup. This is a world class, winning organization with a nimble footprint.
- Design of discrete, hybrid, and MMIC based packaged transistors and 50-ohm in/out high power amplifiers.
- Creation of custom electrical models of passive package parasitics and matching components such as alumina substrates, bondwire arrays, and high dielectric matching capacitors using industry standard 2.5D MoM and 3D FEM simulators.
- Device testing and characterization including s-parameter, large signal, load-pull, stability over temperature and VSWR, as well as market specific measurements on a per-product basis such as modulated signal measurements.
- Multistage circuit design and layouts based on existing designs
- Fulfilling samples requests for key customers
- External customer support
- M.S.E.E. or equivalent experience
- 5 years microwave circuit design/measurement experience with 3 years of compound semiconductor, hybrid or MMIC power amplifier experience
- Working experience with industry standard non-linear circuit simulators ADS and MWO and electromagnetic modeling software (e.g. HFSS or equivalent)
- Working experience with microwave test equipment (e.g. Agilent VNAs) and standard device characterization/de-embedding techniques
- Background knowledge of latest communications standards such as LTE in terms of power amplifier measurements and related specifications
- Demonstrated ability to work within schedule constraints
- Experience with technical customer communications
- Excellent communication and team skills
- US Citizen or green card holder
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- 8 years microwave circuit design experience with at least 5 years on GaAs or GaN hybrid and MMIC power amplifiers
- Experienced user of AWR and ADS non-linear circuit simulators
- Experienced user of Axiem and HFSS electromagnetic modeling software
- Experienced user of microwave test equipment
- Experience with standard device characterization/de-embedding techniques
- Experience with measurement and design techniques to detect and prevent occurrence of oscillations in high power amplifiers.
- Working understanding of video bandwidth as it applies to power amplifiers for applications with linearity and wide instantaneous bandwidth requirements.