Working on behalf of, a leader in GaAs,GaN and other compound semi devices that go into Microwave/ MM-Wave defense applications. They are a leading maker of GaN MMIC Power Amplifiers, that go into EW/Radar applications.
They are looking for an RF Systems Architect, who will interface with Defense customers to understand their EW/Radar architectures, and provide a product roadmap for MMIC and Module level products that will enable to continue to be best in the marketplace. Will play a major role in shaping product strategy as a technical marketing leader.
-We need a MS or PhD EE /Physics, with 8-10+ years as a RF Systems Architect for EW/Radar systems. Should have excellent insight into Phased Arrays, Sensors, Beamforming and subsystem level technology at the Defense prime contractor level ( Raytheon, NorGrum, Lockheed Martin). Should use Systems engineering tools like SystemVue, VSS, MATLAB…Should have a strong background in RF/Microwave Design and understand Power Amplifier/ Microwave Module technology.
Based in Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Boston or other area where there is significant RF/Microwave Defense contractor activity.
RF System Architect
Looking for a RF System Architect responsible for developing complex RF systems solutions, aligning technology & advanced product development with emerging industry standards, trends, and system architectures. The position involves working with Marketing, Research & Development, and Design Engineering to develop customer mission driven solutions that will position products for inclusion in the design of next generation Radar and Electronic Warfare (EW) systems.
- Lead cross-functional marketing and design teams in the analysis of Radar and EW system/subsystem architectures in order to meet emerging customer requirements. Create system solutions and perform portfolio and market analysis relative to emerging Radar and EW markets. Understand competitor’s offerings for next generation systems, and analyze benchmarked performance of competitor devices relative to offering.
- Attend industry standards forums and conferences on emerging Radar and EW systems. Assess industry trials, proof of concepts and technology paths towards hardware requirements. Assess the impact of international requirements relative to product needs and portfolio offerings. Represent and help influence government decisions where the use of technology and products can improve system performance.
- Attend & support key customer technical meetings and presentations on a regular basis to develop relationships with their system level architects and hardware engineering teams. Review customer’s roadmaps and technology proposals to identify potential applicable company products & technology. Maintain libraries of block diagrams for customer and market specific configurations.
- Present to management new requirements, architectures and trends aimed at delivering the optimum performance for Radar and EW systems. Use data driven processes to recommend technology and product areas of investment to strengthen and footprint. Understand and work with IP agreements and restrictions to identify non-infringement or licensing paths forward.
- Create Radar and EW system level concepts that incorporate active electronically scanned array (AESA), phased array and integrated T/R module approaches that utilize products and technology.
- Work with Marketing, Engineering and partners in industry to insure that products are market leaders that provide clear differentiation from a system level perspective.
- Support key customer technical meetings, presentations and proposals to determine future product definitions, technology roadmaps and system level architectures. Develop strong technical working relationships with key technical contacts and influencers at targeted customer accounts in assigned applications areas.
- Work with the Sales & BU Marketing departments to generate system level reference designs that highlight existing and future products that address the customer’s need. Develop detailed proposals and support the sales team to secure new reference design wins in next generation systems.
- Benchmark and analyze data of competitive discrete RF devices, MMICs, multi-function RFICs, T/R module, beamforming ICs and other critical Radar/EW components.
- Actively participating in MIL-standard and defense industry working committees that are tasked with the developing standards for future Radar and EW systems.
- Generate and deliver technical presentations to customers, outside sales personnel, and internal sales, engineering, and management groups.
- Travel to visit customers, company design centers and industry partners in US, Europe and Asia required, up to 30%.
- In this position you will report directly to the Sr. Director of Systems Engineering.
- MSEE minimum, PhD in EE preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in architecting the Radar and EW subsystems hardware.
- Previous employment history with defense equipment companies. For example: Raytheon, Northrop, Grumman, Lockheed Martin, BAE, and Boeing.
- Understanding of existing RF, Microwave, and mmWave Radar, EW, Comm, Sensor, and Ordnance systems that can or could utilize technology and products.
- Understanding of subsystem hardware design, including use of compound semiconductor devices for transmit and receive functions, analog and digital beamforming techniques, and phased array antenna design, as well as advanced technologies such as emerging applications for GaN technology in Radar/EW applications.
- Understanding of AESA, phased array systems used in defense and commercial applications.
- Knowledgeable in all RF/Microwave components commonly used in RF subsystems (amplifiers, mixers, limiters, attenuators, filters, switches, couplers, VCOs, synthesizers, beamformers, etc.).
- Understanding of how component specifications are derived, such as noise figure, phase noise, quantization error, ADC SNR, filter group delay, isolation, and amplifier linearity, and how they impact system performance.
- Understanding and experience with system simulation tools such as experience with MATLAB, ADS, AWR, SystemVue and VSS
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams. Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Excellent written communications skills.
- Well known in industry through patents, publications, presentations and participation in technical activities sponsored by professional & industry organizations.
- Additional technical expertise that would be helpful but not required:
- Background in high efficiency RF power amplifier design, and familiarity with digital linearization and pre-distortion techniques.
- Experience with silicon-based Baseband transceivers, DACs, ADCs, Clocking, Digital and Analog functions.
- Experience with high capacity millimeter wave radios